The South Branch Reformed Church was organized on May 14, 1850, as “The Dutch Reformed Church of
Branchville.” The land for both the church and cemetery was donated by the Amerman family, and the building proper was erected by William Voorhees of Griggstown. The total sum for bell, building and fences was $3,700.
In 1851, the Classis of New Brunswick met to install and ordain our first minister, Mr. Henry Dater, a graduate of New Brunswick Seminary.
The building is one of six Reformed churches built between 1846 and 1855 in the area. It follows the classic Greek Revival style and typifies the quintessential white Protestant church of the era. Churches of this style can be seen throughout New England and the mid-Atlantic states and are often associated with a feeling of “returning home to our roots.”
In 1900, the church was renovated and expanded to include the chapel, alcove and library room. By mid-century, we had excavated beneath the sanctuary and built a meeting room and complete kitchen facilities.
In 1964, the building was greatly expanded by the addition of the educational wing, which houses a parlor, Sunday School, pastor’s office, library, ancillary rooms, and church nursery school.
Although we are over 150 years old, our church community is thriving and continues to grow. We expect to be around for another 150 years or more as a spiritual center for the area.